Keep the rest of the meal gluten free by pairing the ribs with potatoes, Short-grained brown rice or quinoa and a vegetable. Or not, I’m going to have mine with creamy Orzo with onions and peppers. I know, I know more cream, but I’m sitting here and my mouth is watering. There is a gluten free Orzo out there, it’s called DeLallo Italian Gluten Free Orzo. Just incase your missing Orzo, it’s worth a try.
I don’t know if you have an Instant Pot, but it makes life so much easier. Not only with how fast it cooks, the cleanup is a breeze. This is the only way I make my hard boiled eggs, 5 minutes and they are done AND PERFECT! Mashed potatoes only take 8 minutes. I use the Mini Instant Pot, it’s the perfect size for me and an occasional granddaughter or two.
This recipe serves 3-4 (1-2 Ribs per person, 2-3 lbs) I’m going to cook only 4 ribs in my Mini, their total weight is 1.6 lbs. Total Time: about an hour.
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 2-3 lbs. beef short rib
- 2-3 tablespoons high temperature oil
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 cloves garlic
- Mix the first five ingredients (the spices) and rub on the outside of the beef short rib; set aside.
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté.
- Drizzle oil into instant pot.
- Using tongs, lower short ribs into Instant Pot.
- Sear all sides.
- Remove short ribs; set aside.
- Add tomato paste, water, balsamic, Dijon mustard, cocoa, and garlic to the Instant Pot and mix with a spoon until combined.
- Add short ribs.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place.
- Make sure your steam vent is turned to closed.
- Turn the settings to "Pressure Cooker", and "Slow Release" and set the timer for 40 minutes.
- Once the 40 minutes are up, let the Instant Pot sit for 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn the pressure release valve.
- Once all the pressure is released, unlock the lid.
- Spoon sauce over each piece of beef short rib and serve warm. Yum Yum!