According to the Huffington Post “Chocolate contains substances called phenylethylamine and seratonin, both of which (put simply), are mood lifting agents found naturally in the human brain. They are released into the nervous system by the brain when we are happy and when we are experiencing feelings of love, passion or lust”
3 cups Half and Half, divided (or you can use 1.5 cups of heavy cream and 1.5 cups of whole milk)
3/4 cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
1 cup sugar
1 pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon powdered espresso
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons of cream de cocoa or liqueur of your choice
- In a large saucepan heat 2 cups of half and half, cocoa, sugar, salt, and espresso, stirring so that all ingredients are completely blended.
- Whisk cornstarch into remaining half and half until smooth and thoroughly incorporated. Stir this into chocolate mixture. Cook on medium-medium high heat, stirring constantly until the base begins to boil and becomes noticeably thicker.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, chopped chocolate and liqueur, stirring until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is very smooth. Cover with wax paper, pressing down so skin doesn't form, and chill till cold.
- Pour (scoop out with small spatula--it's thick) custard into ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions. Store in freezer if not using right away.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving, if you can wait that long. Yum Yum!
Post a Comment